Sunday, December 4, 2011

AUTISM-SPECTRUM QUOTIENT

Autism-Spectrum Quotient or AQ Test Reaction

            Autism-Spectrum Quotient or AQ Test is a test to measure the extent of autistic traits in adults. It is not a 100% accurate test but it undergoes studies at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre. As stated on the site (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html), the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.
            When I took the test online, I got the score of 20. According to a site (http://aq.server8.org/), a result of 20 means normal. Knowing this result, I laugh and said to myself, “Yehey! I’m a normal person, hahaha”. At first, I thought that I’m a little bit autistic because me and my close friends (namely:  Jove, April, Claire, Klemfer and Rodjjell) are somewhat out of this world at some times. We have our own world sometimes, acts like a child, someone told us that our age is not appropriate for our age and we really observed that we easily laugh just because of simple little things (“mababaw na kaligayahan”).
            This kind of examination is exciting, you can’t predict the result and what ever be the result, it will surely surprise you. Based on my own experience, taking the test really excites me. It is interesting. But I realized that the results didn’t have a big impact in me. It doesn’t change my trait, behavior or attitude. Nothings change. It only adds information. Moreover, deep inside there’s no reason for me to rely on the result just to test if I’m an autistic or not. Because as of now, I know my capacity and I’m aware on my trait and behavior. I’m not saying that the AQ Test is useless or nonsense. I’m only saying that in my part, it has no impact for me and it doesn’t change me. I don’t know if others have the same opinion with me and I’m just sharing my reaction and thoughts about this test. Maybe, this test is important for those people who have questions regarding on their behavior.  :)  
 




0 comments:

Post a Comment